Thursday, November 4, 2010

One Last Picture...

Shawn will kill me when she sees I posted this picture.  But, I absolutely love Owen's expression...I can see him at 20 with his crazie auntie and the same expression...hehehe...

I forgot to mention the flight to and from Washington in my last post.  Owen was so funny.  First of all, it had been almost 2 years since I had flown last and I was a wreck.  I absolutely hate to fly and having not flown for so long made it even worse.  If it had been any longer, I swear I would have put on a similar scene to the one Meg Ryan did in that movie French Kiss when she was in the airplane simulator!!!

Anyway, Owen was absolutely ecstatic about going on the plane, especially after Alex had been here and told him about flying up.  But, a few weeks out he started pointing to the private planes at Merril Field and asking if we were going to fly in a "wittle pwane" that goes "swowy".  At first, I tried to explain that the planes were much bigger and very fast, but, that it didn't feel fast.  I quickly realized that my detailed explanation wasn't helping the situation and started agreeing with him.  I didn't really think much of it until the day of our flight.  Owen was so nervous, his entire demeanor had changed and he kept repeatedly asking me over and over if it was a small plane and if it was slow.  When we got to the airport, every employee and every passenger would bring up the big plane he was going to get to fly on and how fast it would go.  I kept shushing them and explaining that we were taking the slow, small, plane.  It was kind of funny looking back.  Anyway, by the time we got seated, Owen was super quite and still.  When we started down the runway and the engine roared he grabbed both Shawn and I and white knuckled our arms.  The face he made was absolutely priceless...had I known, I totally would have been ready with the camera!!!  By the time we were at altitude, he had calmed down and enjoyed every bit of the rest of our flights and couldn't have behaved any better.  His biggest thrill though was the bathrooms and he made sure we visited one on every plane...do you know how difficult it is to fit two people in one of those these days...it's awkward, even if one of those people are pint sized!!!  

Owen can't wait to go again though and asks constantly about it.  I feel bad that Owen was so nervous to begin the trip, I am sure he was just feeding off my nerves before we left, but, I just couldn't help it!
Shawn informed us when we got home that Owen made the flights seem shorter...which was an especially shocking statement considering two days into the trip she informed me that she was going to go home and take some "Me days'.  Between the four of us girls, we had 4 kiddos under 4 years old!  Sammee and Owen are just a few months apart and had this crazy love/hate relationship thing going.  They fought constantly, but, still wanted to be around each other.  It was kind of a weird experience.  Trapping them in a car together for a 5 hour drive was not the best way to start out a trip either (or end it for that matter!).  But, I was really glad that Owen got to meet all of the kids.  He still asks about Sammee and when she's coming to stay at his house!  I have pictures of all the kids together, but, didn't figure their parents would appreciate me posting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment