Monday, August 2, 2010

Air Show...

We spent the day at the air show this past weekend.  It was fun, but, the crowd was absolutely overwhelming.  It took us at least 30 minutes to get parked once we got on base and then the line to get your bags searched before you could enter was at least another hour...and, that's before it really got busy!!  I was so excited, but, this may be my last visit after this little experience.  It was worth it though, Owen loved absolutely every minute...you'd have thought we took him to Disney World!

In typical man fashion, Dave had my fancy new camera (I should have brought my old one too, so I could take pictures!!) and most of the over 150 photos he shot were of the planes.  But, I did manage to get it away from him long enough to get a few of Owen....




We couldn't get anywhere near the runways to watch the shows, so we sat way back on the tarmac and tried to at least see what was happening in the air.  Right before we left, we figured out that we would have had a far better view had we sat in the bed of the truck in the parking lot...live and learn!!  After we got back to the truck Owen turned to me and said, "Owen take the airplane home" referring to the Blue Angel we bought him and I told him that yes, it was his to keep.  He looked back at me and asked, "it's a toy"?  He's so funny.  I guess he thought it was the real deal up to that point.  I'm not sure if it's because the planes look so small in the air or the fact that the toy we bought was a lot nicer than his typical toy planes (it's really heavy weight metal).  He just cracks me up!  He's carried it around with him everywhere since!!


Owen LOVED walking through the aircraft they had available.  It was all we could do to keep up with him as he ran from one plane to the next!

This was a rare opportunity...Owen got to sit inside a tank, I sat with him and couldn't believe the lack of leg room.  Your knees, especially on a tall dude would touch the seats on the row across from you.  Not exactly a luxurious way to travel!


Owen hung in through the whole show, but was out in seconds after Dave started up the truck.  We headed over to Shawnie's for dinner and left him in the truck for well over an hour while we worked in the yard.

O.k., I guess I'll share a couple pics of airplanes....these are of the Canadian Snowbirds.  We tried to stick it out to see the Blue Angels, but, they performed over an hour late at the very end of the show and we'd already sat in the truck waiting for them for an hour and a half.  Plus, Owen and I were kind of done...I'd already had to pee in the parking lot between vehicles twice!!!!  Put some outhouses in the parking lot people!!!!
  
This is one of the F-22s that we watched from the parking lot.  Every time one of these flew over the vehicles, it set off a ton of sensitive car alarms....I'm willing to bet there was more than one dead battery out there by the time the show was over!!!
F-22s in formation...

I'm not sure what this big guy in front is, but, they did say it's really old, but still carries cargo for the military around the state.  I was surprised how low it could fly considering its size!  But, the really cool one is the little plane in the background.  I believe it is a Stinson (not sure which model) from WWI and is thought to be the last of its kind in flying condition.  

I have more pictures from my birthday dinner I'll share tomorrow!  Hope you are all having a wonderful week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment