Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Reveal! (3/4)

O.k., I should preface the next series of posts by saying I attempted to do the same as I did on our last vacation and document daily all the things we did.  Unfortunately, there is a whole lot LESS down time on a Disney vacation than a Hawaii trip let me tell you!!!  Fortunately, Dave does an awesome job keeping a log of everything we do. So, although he doesn't go into excessive detail like I do, he lists all the important stuff out and that allows me to fill-in the gaps in my memory!

We got the Disney Memory Maker option again this time and I am so glad, I can't wait to share all of the photos with you.  Last trip, the Memory Maker only gave you the pictures from the photographers posted around the parks, but, now they include those crazy fun snapshots of you screaming on the rides.  You know, those pictures they take of you just when you go over those hills and see your life flash before your eyes...haha, who can live without those! ;O)  So, here goes...

Today we FINALLY got to tell the kids we were heading to Disney!  We pulled Owen out of school mid-morning and had a whole scenario planned.  I made the sign below, Dave taped it to the luggage in the closet, and I told the kids that I saw a mouse in the closet and to come look.  Unfortunately, Owen didn't read the sign and I had to explain it anyway...time well spent!! ;O)




The trip itself started off SO wrong.  We hadn't had snow in over a month but, about the time I went to pick Owen up from school, a blizzard moved in.  There was a 15-car pile up near Boniface that shut down the Glenn Highway which forced all of us to take Muldoon.  I just recently started receiving texts from the Anchorage Police Department and the DOT, so, we had a heads-up over most people apparently.  Most continued on when we exited and we heard later that even Muldoon had become a parking lot.  On our alternative route, we still saw an 8-car pile-up blocking the on ramp from Tudor onto New Seward and a 3-car accident headed the opposite direction on Minnesota.  Thankfully, we made it to the airport just a little behind schedule.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stop and buy sandwiches for dinner like we'd planned.

I hate to fly, I'm sick for days prior just at the thought of having to get on a plane, and I end up making it really miserable for everyone because I'm such a mess.  This time, we got to the ticket counter and I couldn't find my wallet with my ID.  I decided I left it in the truck and ran all the way back to the airport garage to find it.  I looked everywhere but found nothing.  I got to thinking and decided that I must have inadvertently packed it when I stuck the last minute stuff in the luggage.  So, I ran all the way back to the ticket counter only to find out Dave had checked both suitcases already.  I yelled that I'd packed my license, so, the poor counter girl took out running after the luggage.  Thats when I found it in my carry on.  What a mess!  I was so embarrassed and felt so bad that I'd made such a scene.  At that point, Dave headed out to take his truck to the office where he'd park and then get a ride back to the airport.  The kids and I headed to security.  We got almost to the front of the line when I realized we'd left Liv's backpack at the ticket counter.  I told the kids to haul out and I took off running trying to duck under the ropes.  In the process, I nearly pulled them all down because they caught on Liv's backpack still strapped on my back!!!!  Oh my gosh!!  It wasn't until I went to set everything down with the kids while they waited for me to sprint across the airport yet again that I realized the bag was on my back the whole time.  Let me tell you, it is EXHAUSTING to be such a spaz!! Hahaha!

After the chaos subsided, we did make it safely to the plane without any additional incidents.  The girl at the ticket counter must have taken pity on the kids for having such a mess for a mother and gave them these cute luggage stickers.  Man, these two were so over the moon excited.


The flight to Seattle was pretty bumpy and both the take-off and the landing were rough.  But, the best part of the flight was that Owen and I were super congested and I was worried we were coming down with the cold Liv had the week before.  In addition, Dave seemed had what appeared to be random bug bites on his neck by the time we arrived in Seattle.  As we were getting up to exit the plane, a woman in the row behind the kids and I commented to the one next to her that she didn't even know she had a cat he was so quiet...WHAT?!!??!  The damn cat was under our seats the entire flight.  No wonder we were all such a freaking mess.  I was SO mad!!!  I have always wondered why they allow animals on the flight and don't say anything to the other passengers considering all the allergy issues in the world.  But, to not say anything to the people SITTING on top of the animal!!  That seems ludicrous to me.  Had I known, we could have all taken some Benadryl that I carry with me on planes for just this kind of situation.  Unbelievable.  Owen really struggled on the landing with his ears, partly because the cabin pressure was so bad, but, I'm sure due in most part to all the sinus drainage caused by the cat.

On top of that, the flight left Anchorage 10 minutes and arrived almost 40 minutes late into Seattle, leaving no time to buy dinner.  Plus, they made us stand in line for paper tickets at the gate, so, we had to take the time to deal with that before boarding as well.  I couldn't figure out why that was necessary but, later learned that the connecting flight we were supposed to take had been abruptly cancelled just a day or two prior to our departure.   That's part of the reason our layover was so short, I always schedule some extra down time between connections to avoid this kind of incident, especially from Anchorage to Seattle...that flight is always super early because of tail winds or super late because of headwinds.  I don't know why that is, I haven't experienced such huge travel time swings on any other flight.

I thought I heard the cat woman say she was traveling on to Orlando as well, but, she either wasn't on our next flight or sat far enough away that we didn't have any continuing issues.  However, the flight to Orlando was even bumpier than the last and it was considered a "late" flight with only snack-packs no real food available for purchase.  We were STARVING!!!  I'd brought quite a few snacks, but, nothing with any staying power.  So, between the hunger, being wound up about the trip, and the starvation, none of us could fall asleep.  It was a LOOONG flight/night!!!  Although, these pictures tell a different story, haha.  The kids did finally fall asleep for a very short time right before we landed.  Olivia woke up a million times though freaking out that she wanted to stretch out and she'd kick anything that was in her way...you know like Owen on one side and me on the other.  She also was yelling that the seat belt was hurting her belly...not possible since I had it so loose around her, she could have crawled out of it.  I think she was really still asleep, but, she was just a psycho!!




I have my Fitbit with me and have always wondered how much walking you do in the parks...now I will know!  So, I'm going to post our steps for each day just to see.

Steps Walked: 14,316
Miles: 6.19

No comments:

Post a Comment