Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Owen's 3rd Birthday!

Owen had an awesome day yesterday at his party. I think he's confused as to who's birthday it was since he wished everyone there a happy birthday as well! But, either way, he went home with a truck full of loot! We started at home with the gifts he received from family in the mail and from my dad and Dave and I. He had a ton of new toys before we ever headed to the party!
I think the part he thought was the best of the pre-party gifts, was the card that my dad bought him. When you open it, it plays music. For some reason, Owen got the biggest kick out of opening it and closing it again. He's such a goof ball!
Owen had his 3rd ice skating lesson right before the party started. The last two lessons, I've wondered if I should pull him out. There's only 3 kids in his class and the other two are well over 5 (the class is for 3-5 year olds). So, Owen is way behind as far as maturity/attention span and muscle tone goes. But, he had a total break through right in the middle of the class! He can now stand on his own and skate quite a distance. I don't know what clicked for him, but it was a revelation and its like he finally "gets it".
Considering the party was at 5pm on a Monday and I didn't send out invites until the Wednesday prior, I wasn't anticipating more than a few people to be able to make it. But, instead, we had quite a turn out and had lots of fun. I really appreciate everyone making the effort to be there, its especially huge for Owen to have his family around him. He like he takes roll call in his head and starts asking about those that are missing, he's a pretty lucky kid to have so many people that love him this much!
The gift opening was a group effort which works out since Owen doesn't really like to make the effort anyway. He just likes seeing what's inside!
While I was taking photos of the group, Owen stopped me and told me to take a "face picture of Owen". He usually protests when I take his picture, so I'm not sure what brought this on! Anyway, this is Owen at 2 years and 364 days old! ;O)
I know that normally, parents buy a fancy cake with a picture of some cartoon character on it. But not in this family!! Everyone's favorite cake, including Owen's, is Funfetti from the Pillsbury box mix....don't ask. (It's everyone's favorite but mine!) ;O) So, anyway, excuse the messy cake. This is what you get if I cook!!!
Finally, we were off to skate!! Owen really wanted Dave and Geoff to zoom him around the rink. But, they really worked hard with him and made him practice doing it on his own too. Unfortunately, he can't make himself go fast enough for his liking....thats the daredevil in him. So, I am sure Dave and especially Geoff are feeling it today! (fyi, Dave got cleared by the doctor earlier in the day to skate, his knee is still sore and he's in the brace, but its slowly recovering).
I was shocked how well all the other kids skated, especially considering all but Thane are quite a bit younger than Owen. His friend Charlee is going to skate circles around him with just a few more visits to the skate rink and without lessons! I didn't want to post too many pictures of the other kids without the parents permission, but I got quite a few cute ones of all the kids.

Hope you are all having a great week! We're pooped and ready for the weekend already I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment