Sunday, March 29, 2009

Redoubt Final Got Us!

Well, I had an entry all ready to post yesterday about how lucky we've been that Redoubt had blown for the 11th time that morning and we still hadn't been hit with any ash. Unfortunately, before I was able to post, my computer shutdown on me and I had to leave for a movie at the Bear's Tooth in town. About half way through the movie, we got word that there had been a second eruption and ash was falling in the Anchorage area. When we went outside our vehicles were already covered in a good layer and I managed to get more than a healthy dose in my mouth and eyes. Yuck!!! According to the Volcano Observatory website, we had a total of 4 eruptions (1:30am, 1:58pm, 3:43pm-the one that got Anchorage, and the last one at 7:36pm) yesterday, bringing us up to about 15 so far . Lucky for us, the Eagle River/Chugiak area barely got a dusting and Shawnie skated by with just a little bit more than that. I was really pretty shocked at how much ash had accumulated on our trucks just during in the couple of hours we spent at the movie!! According to the AVO website, things quieted down quite a bit last night, but Redoubt is starting to rev back up again. So, keep your fingers crossed for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment