Monday, May 25, 2009

Freedom Isn't Free....

I just got back from taking my Grandma home in Palmer and wanted to make sure and post these, especially for my mom. I think this is the first year since my grandpa died in 1987 that she wasn't able to make it out to see his grave on Memorial Day. We didn't stay for the service this year, although I regretted it when I saw the schedule...there wasn't a politician speaking this year, I don't ever remember a year when at least one of them didn't make an appearance! I have a hard time with the whole thing anyway though. The service is conducted in almost exactly the same format as their funerals and even though I was just 9, I remember Grandpa's funeral like it was yesterday. For that reason, I have a really hard time with the 21 gun salute, the folding of the flag, and the trumpets playing "Taps". It's like reliving the funeral all over again every year.

Anyway, I try not to ever mention last names on here and in keeping with that, I blurred out the last names on the grave stones. I also don't really like taking photos at cemeteries, it reminds me of taking pictures at a funeral...just kind of creepy. But, I wanted mom to see that we did put artificial flowers on the graves for her, but I do have to say that I read a sign there that stated they will pull out all of the artificial flowers up next time they mow the grass. So, I still don't think they last any longer than the real ones do!

This headstone belongs to my Grandpa on my dad's side. He was killed in Vietnam and of course, Shawnie and I never got to know him. We definitely have heard lots of stories from dad and his brothers and sister though. From what I have understand, we lost out on a lot by not knowing him.
This one is my mom's dad's headstone. He made it home, but we didn't get enough time with him and all miss him very much.
We noticed several families standing near gravestones at the back of the cemetery today. That's where they bury the newly fallen, both the retired military that are fortunate enough to make it home and those that lose their lives in the war. I would guess however, based on those that were there, most were war casualties. It's hard to see the devastation, but also a cold reminder that this war isn't over and is still affecting those here at home.
On a slightly lighter note, it was truly beautiful out today with the temps right around mid-60 and not much wind at the cemetery like there is most days. Shawn wanted me to take a picture of Owen walking with his dad. It cracks her up that he puts his hand in his pocket when he walks. I truly believe he is 2 going on 40 some days! ;O) He was really good at the cemetery and although he doesn't get it yet, its really important to me that he knows how many heroes he has to look up to on both sides of our family!
This is just one last funny picture from our day. Shawnie put Owen's hat on Gram and I couldn't resist taking a picture. Grandma would kill me if she knew I posted this!! Fortunately for me, she still can't run her computer with the new Vista program on there! ;O)

Hope you are all enjoying your long Memorial Day weekend and had a chance to thank a Vet for your freedom today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment